Marathon and Beyond Magazine
- July/August 2009: "The Hells of the Bunion Derby: John Stone Jr's account of running in the first footrace across America."
- March/April 2008: "Bunion Derby Fever: How the First Footrace Across America Pulled the Average Working Joe Into Ultramarathoning."
- January/February 2007: "Lava Madness: Father/Daughter Marathoning on the Slopes of an Active Volcano."
- July/August 2002: "Courage and Endurance: John Salo and Peter Gavuzzi's Epic Duel across 1929 America."
- July/August 2001: "The Sheik of Seattle: Ed Gardner Had a Dream to Win the 1928 Bunion Derby."
Northwest Runner Magazine
- June 2014: "The Great Bunion Derbies: Searching for the Limits of Human Endurance"
- November 2007: "Eddie Gardner: Seattle's Historic 'Sheik' of NW Distance Running"
- March 2001: "The Great Around-Lake-Washington Foot Race"
- September 2000: "Running in the Good Land: The Joy of Traveling and Running in Italy."
- February 2000: "First to the Future: Running the Millennium Marathon. Report from the first marathon of the new century-down under in Hamilton, New Zealand.
- October 1999: Running in the Realm of the Goddess: The 1999 Kilauea Volcano Wilderness Marathon.
- July 1999: "The Great Port Townsend to Port Angeles Bunion Derby of 1929"
- "The Hells of the Bunion Derby: John Stone Jr's account of running in the first footrace across America."
- "Lava Madness: Father/Daughter Marathoning on the Slopes of an Active Volcano."
At Home in the World: The Peace Corps Story
- Chapter: "Going Home by Tata"
If Life is A Game, These are the Stories: True Stories by Real People Around the World About Being Human
- Chapter: "Trust Thy Neighbor"